Form 11 — Guide to Income Tax Return Ireland

Form 11 — Guide to Income Tax Return Ireland

Figuring out your tax liability and filing your annual returns can be complicated and stressful, particularly if it’s your first time or if you have more than one type of income to declare.

To make it easier, we’ve put together a list of everything you’ll need to know about calculating your liability, self-assessment, and filing your Form 11 to the Revenue Commissioners this year.


Should I file a Form 11?

What information do I need to include on my Form 11?

What income do I need to declare on my Form 11?

How do I calculate my tax liability?

What expenses/deductions can I claim?

What is the deadline for filing my Form 11?


Should I File a Form 11?

You may need to file a Form 11 if you are considered a chargeable person by the Revenue Commissioners. You are considered a chargeable person if, in addition to a PAYE income source, you have earned either:

in excess of €5,000 tax assessable non-PAYE income, or
in excess of €30,000 gross non-PAYE income

If you are not a chargeable person, you will still need to declare any non-PAYE income to the Revenue Commissioners, but you will not use a Form 11.


What Information Do I Need To Include on My Form 11?

It is essential that all your details are accurate and up to date when you self-assess. Any mistakes or incomplete information on your Form 11 could potentially lead to your tax return not being accepted by the Revenue Commissioners.

The following information should be included on your Form 11 return for both you and your spouse (if applicable):

Name, Date of Birth and PPS number.
Details of any current or carried-forward losses and capital allowances.
Tax Credits (you should already possess a tax credit certificate (TCC) detailing your personal tax credits. It is possible you may be entitled to additional credits as well.)


What Income Do I Need to Declare on My Form 11?

It is also very important that the income details that you include on your Form 11 are correct and comprehensive. You must include all income information for the year, regardless of its taxability. This includes:

Total of any taxable social welfare income received during the year.
PAYE Income – Gross Pay, Tax Paid, Gross pay for USC and USC Paid
Account details of your trade including total sales and receipts, as well as a breakdown of total expenses.
Details of any other income whether taxable or not.
Details of any gifts/inheritances or capital gains.

Remember, it is important to have as much documentation as possible when it comes to filing your tax returns. Make sure you keep all information relevant to your incomings and outgoings, so you’re not scrambling to find documentation once tax season comes around.


How Do I Calculate My Tax Liability?

We advise that you know how to calculate your own income tax liability, so you know that you are paying your tax correctly. You can figure this out by following these steps:

Find your total taxable income (PAYE and non-PAYE)
Apply appropriate tax band(s) to this income to find your total payable tax
Deduct tax credits
Apply USC and PRSI
Deduct any tax already paid

Remember that underpaying your tax can lead to additional fines from the Revenue Commissioners. 


What Expenses/Deductions Can I claim?

When filing your tax return, you should also be aware of the deductions you are eligible for in order to minimize your tax bill.

The number and type of claimable expenses will depend on your individual circumstances and can change from year to year – we suggest getting help from a tax expert who can uncover each and every deduction available to you.

Some common expenses or “allowable deductions” that may apply to you include:

Accountancy Fees: Expenses spent engaging the service of a professional accountant or tax advisor.

Work & Office Space: This includes money spent on renting out space to work from and utility bills such as heating, lighting, telephone and internet expenses.

Insurance Costs: Insurance premiums against fire and public liability are eligible for tax relief. If you have a business premises and contents, this insurance premium is also deductible.

Materials/Office Supplies/Tools: Any materials related to the work you are completing including specialised work clothes like protective clothing, masks, etc.

Motor Expenses: This can include costs such as motor tax, insurance, servicing and repairs.

Prior Year Losses: Losses incurred in previous years can be used to offset the current year profits.


What is the Deadline for Filing My Form 11?

Your Form 11, alongside your income tax payment and preliminary tax payment for the following year, must be submitted to the Revenue Commissioners each year by 31st October.

It is very important that you meet this deadline, as late filing and payment can cost you significantly. The Revenue Commissioners charges late fees of up to 10% of your tax liability, depending on how late you file.

Filing a Form 11 can be a daunting task, particularly when your finances are not straightforward, your circumstances have recently changed or if you simply don’t understand the system. We always suggest having a tax expert look over your return before you submit it, to make sure you have included all the important information and to be sure you aren’t over or underpaying your tax.

Treat yourself to peace of mind and let us handle your tax return for as little as €249 (VAT incl.). Get a quick quote today or contact our experts to find out how we can help you with your Form 11 this year.